Monday, October 27, 2008

This week

It has become increasingly more difficult to sit down and write. What can I say that has not already been said. We are in the process of starting a new life, this life after cancer. Things are way different now. Susan has started her new job as Director of Counseling Services at the church. This is a very exciting and challenging position for her. She will be awesome!! I am making my way back to work. I am doing 4 days a week, though right now I am working 5 or 6 hours a day but a few times I have done 8+. I am getting stronger and thinking more clearly. This week, Wednesday, I have the first of my every-six-week check-ups. For the next eighteen months I will see an ENT who will check my status. I am way farther into this medical stuff than I ever thought I would be.

When we were in Maui we were so blessed by our ohana group. It was this group that we found fellowship and friendship We found connection. To be real honest we miss them. Here on the mainland everybody is sooo busy. Okay, enough whining. Our solution - start our own ohana. So in January we are going to do it. Ohana means family in Hawaiian, but it is not a rigidly defined family. I think of the word kinship is a good synonym. It is where bonds are made. Where we connect, where community is made. So we are very excited at the prospect. Please pray with us on how this should look. And always thanks for your continued prayers for us.

3 comments:

Paul Gyorfi said...

i would like to be apart of the "extended family that is often annoying and eats all your food, but only comes around at least once every other year but hopefully more often member" of the ohana.

hope you guys figure this out. we all need community

Anna said...

I want to join too! Have you considered an online ohana group that meets at a regular time to chat and encourage one another? Ohana just doesn't exist behind electric fences here in South Africa. I won't be able to bake you a casserole when you're sick, but we can negotiate these things. - angela

Anonymous said...

Count me in...I hear what you are saying about people being sooo busy. I know for me, I make time or rearrange my schedule to do things that I WANT to do. ...
As long as I keep my priorities in order...lack of time doesn't seem to be as much of an issue.
I love you guys and would be honored to be a part of your Ohana.