Thursday, September 25, 2008

This is life!

Susan and I were talking yesterday about getting life "back to normal".  What exactly does that mean?  Does it mean that our lives will go back to the way things were before all this cancer stuff?

The conclusion that we came to was there is no going back.  When you think about it life is all about change, every day.  You're not the same person you were yesterday.  You are a day older, a day farther from the womb and a day closer to the grave.  The today's experiences, regardless of how seemingly small they are, change us to one degree or another.   It seems though that we don't notice how we change when these experiences are of the relatively insignificant variety. They say that if you were lost in the desert and tried to walk out without any points of reference you would eventually walk in a big circle because one of your legs is always shorter than the other.  Reference points are key.   It's like I almost ignore my life until there is a "reference point" like I meet the girl of my dreams (Susan), the birth of my children or moving to Maui.  It could be less desirable things too, like death, divorce or losing a job. When these things happen, life is inalterably changed.  There is no "back to normal" there is only the new normal.  When I met Jesus and made Him Lord of my life I was never going "back to normal" I was forever changed.   

Right now Susan and I are sitting in the waiting area at Stanford.  The scan is done and now we are waiting to see the doctor to get the results.  Whatever the outcome, good or bad, this is one of those points of reference. 

No comments: