Wednesday, August 6, 2008

just a quick thought or two

When we got home from our weekend R & R there was a message on our answering machine from my cousin Janice letting me know her brother had died the day before.  Andrew Mulhall, we all called him Drew but outside of family he was Andy.  He was a junior so his dad trumped the name at home.  She and I were talking about how he was such a mellow and easy going guy. Though I hadn't seen him in years but I could still picture him always with a sly little smile as he told you some story.  He was a great guy and he will be missed!

Switching gears, have you ever read some quirky little saying like on a billboard, bumper sticker or a poster and it just struck you?  This weekend I came across a drink coaster with the following saying - "Happiness is wanting what you have!"  I have been chewing on that for the past few days now.  I am not sure if it is all in the mind of the beholder but it really spoke to me.  Maybe as you think about it the meaning for you will be different but for me it is all about being content where you are.  Not that we should not desire to excel beyond where we are today but not to be consumed with striving for things that in and of themselves hold no real joy.  We saw some incredible homes on the coast but do they represent happiness?  We see the celebrities and so many of the stories about them deal with the chaos in their lives.  I think being content is to be desired more than a fat stock portfolio.  In Romans 14:17 it says, "for the kingdom God is not eating and drinking but righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit."  My prayer today is that I don't make life more difficult but to keep it simple and to find contentment right here, right now.

Hold fast

Mike

1 comment:

Unknown said...

right on! Love you Mike, you too Susan
Ann